Monday, September 10, 2012

Jane Eyre VS Heathcliff

 
This semester as part of my leveling courses I am taking 19th Century British Literature, and one of the books we are reading is Wuthering  Heights by Emily Bronte. I was at Books-A-Million a few days ago and I bought Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I did not consciously buy it because we were reading Emily Bronte, but maybe subconsciously(?). anyway,  when I did make the connection, consciously, I like reading both at the same time. I thought that it would be a nice way to compare the two sister's novels and their writing styles. I have never read Wuthering Heights, but I have read Jane Eyre. so in suppose I know what is coming in Jane Eyre, so my "insights" into that book are probably deeper since I have read it before, I know the plot, the storyline, etc. In Wuthering Heights, I do not know the plot so I do have to spend some time on that, keeping track of what is going on, what is coming, etc.  
  Today, I made a connection between the two novels. maybe connection is the wrong word. I should say...I have made an observation between the two novels of my own perspective.  I noticed similarities between Heathcliff and Jane Eyre. I am only up to chapter 10 of Wuthering Heights, so perhaps my similarities will prove to be untrue later own. however, at this point, I am going with what I have observed thus far. 
  Even though one is a man and the other a woman, both characters have quite a bit in common, from what I can tell. 
          Both Jane and Heahtcliff are orphans. Heathcliff is from Liverpool, where he appears to be a beggar gypsy orphan,and is brought to Wuthering Heights by Mr.Earnshaw. Jane Eyre's parents died when she was little, bringing her to the home of her mother's uncle, Mr.Reed. not only are they both orphans, but they were brought "to" the family by the father of the household, and in both stories we are given the impression that they became the favorite of the father, earning the jealousy of the other members of the household.
          We are also told that both of them are hit often by the son of the family. in both cases, it seems as if neither one of them really hits back. Jane Eyre seems to just accept it, and takes it, and we are given the impression that Heathcliff(more or less)does the same thing, which makes Mr.Earnshaw not like his own son for hitting Heathcliff. 
  My last observation is that both of these characters appear to be...different. despite not fighting back when they are hit, they are both obviously strong and do speak their mind, as I have seen demonstrated often in the parts I have read thus far. in other words, they appear to not be liked by the other members of the family not only for being the favorite of the father but for being different than themselves. independent. strong. not spoiled or shallow. they are also not liked because neither one is deemed to be pretty. Heathcliff is a gypsy, dark skin, whilst Jane Eyre is "plain." 
   I can't say whether my observations will hold up as I continue to re-read Jane Eyre and read Wuthering Heights for the first time, but for now, my findings seem to be that both the sisters seem to have created main characters who, while certainty different, have a lot in common in their background and how they are perceived and treated by others in the family they grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment